Sunday, December 16, 2007

Single Speed Night Ride


I rode my Rig 29er SS for the first time tonight on the Shoreline Trail, in the snow, with my Princeton Tech SB 2 helment light. Wow, what a fun ride. I have to do that more often. There's something special about riding at night. And, it beats the hell out of riding in the basment. It was pretty cold, 26 F, so overheating was not a problem, even though I didn't wear a lot of clothes. And traffic wasn't a problem either.

Regarding the Rig, what amazed me most was how well my tires hooked up, even on the short uphill sections. I never once spun out, even when I stood up. Maybe there is something to the G2 Geometry, or maybe it was the new rubber. I did notice the hardtail and how there isn't a lot of wasted energy when I pushed on the pedals. I wasn't able to test it's downhill character so I can't comment on if it tracks as well and quick as a 26. I'll try that out on a dry trail, in the daylight. I'm really excited to get into this SS thing and see if I can handle it. Standing on the climbs hasn't been my thing, but I can see that that has to change. Ain't no way I can pedal seated. And I'm riding a 20T cog! A 17T or 18T like the big boys and girl (KC) rides seems totally out of the question. Adam says his legs are bigger, so maybe I can put some meat on my sticks. Wouldn't that be sweet. More meat means fewer wrinkles!!! Sign me up.

2 comments:

KC said...

I am so glad you like it. I think single speeding will make you a better rider. I can not guarantee you will become meatier, but more aggressive for sure. And I ride a big 20T gear too. Chris doesn't beleive I can do anything else, but I like the 20.

Caiden C said...

Greaat read thankyou