Thursday, January 31, 2008

io, Altitude Simulation Training

I’m pleased to introduce my new sponsor, io, “Live better from the inside out.” io is a New Zealand based company which manufactures an altitude simulation device that does not require living or sleeping in a tent, like previous altitude technologies. Instead, this technology requires just 1 hour a day, and no tent. All I have to do is slip on a mask, sit in a chair and let the machine take me up to 18,000 feet and back down to sea level. The adaptive protocol is a little more specific than that, but you get the idea. I’ll be going higher than I’ve ever been before without leaving good ole SLC!

Here’s a clip from their website: “io altitude simulation is the replicated breathing of high altitude air. The result – boosted energy levels and sporting performance, finding relief from various health conditions or simply enhancing well being.”

This technology will hopefully make getting to the 12,600 feet turn around at Leadville more pleasant and get me back to the finish in the top 10, assuming I make it through the lottery.

My plan is to start the initial 3 week program on February 4th so I’ll be posting my progress, protocols and feelings here over the next 3 weeks. After that, it will be boost sessions every 6-8 weeks for the rest of the year.

In the meantime, check out the io link under Sponsors and the Altitude Training link in the Good Links area to get a more in depth look at what this is all about.

6 comments:

Genericyclist said...

You know,this obligates you to posting a picture of yourself wearing this thing. Maybe with your electro stim hooked up at the same time, for good measue.

Brad Mullen said...

Yeah, that'll make me look like I'm hooked up to Ole Sparky!

Dave Harris said...

That's exactly what's going on here: http://2-epic.com/?p=13

Anonymous said...

Something about altitude training rubs me the wrong way. It's too clinical and looks like you're doing something illegal. It seems to almost be like blood doping and It doesn't help in leveling the playing field. Unless everyone has access to it and chooses to do it or not I'm casting a vote against it. Now, if you said, "Brad here's a unit for you try out for the next year free of charge." I could change my mind in a hurry.

Brad Mullen said...

I agree, it does seem clinical, but it's legal and no different than using supplements like Cordy Max, Optygen, Hammer products, etc. From another angle, it like using Ti parts, or light weight wheels instead of the heavy stock parts. I think there are a few of us out there that have taken that route, for a price! AT it is available to everyone at Momentum Climbing Gym in Sandy. That levels the playing field :-)

Eric Moody said...

Brad Keyes - you are more than welcome to come down to Momentum and try it out. We're trying to get everyone we know on it just to get some awareness in the area (you don't need a momentum membership) - can't say it would be free for the year because there are some costs associated (i.e. - masks, use of space at gym, etc.) As far as it being illegal or leveling the playing field - it is no different than going to high altitude every day for your training. If that makes it illegal than we had better make sure everyone who races lives and works at the same altitude, eats the same foods, and rides the same bikes. It is just changing the amount of oxygen in each breath for an hour to train your body to be more efficient at delivering oxygen rich blood to your muscles.
http://www.io-nz.com/home
http://www.altitudetraining.blogspot.com/
Cheers,
Eric