Monday, February 18, 2008

IHE Update

I'm 3 days into the 3rd week of the initialization phase and have climbed past the 20,320 foot summit of Mt. McKinley. By Wednesday I'll be at Camp 3 on Mt. Everest! The last 4 days have been exhausting, to say the least. When I left session 13 today I felt like I was drunk for about 15 minutes afterwards. I must be a light weight cuz you're supposed to be back to normal after a few breaths of ambinet air. Not me...

Also, it appears my mask was only working intermittently during the first 9 days and I may not have been getting the full intended boost, i.e. I was mixing ambient air with depleted air and not going as high as I was supposed to. My body was not being stressed properly and I was not really climbing as high as I was programed to climb. After making a correction to the way I inhale, I can definatley say I am getting the full effect now! As a matter of fact, during the last 3 sessions I almost passed out several times, and I've had to cheat and grab some ambient air to stay upright. It was way intense, and a little scarry. Even 5 minutes with significantly reduced oxygen made my head very light and my arms tingle. I can't help but think a lot of that is because I did not get aclimatized correctly during the first 9 days and suddenly jumped out of the plane at 20,000 feet. I don't recommend it.

I have 2 more days left in the 3 week initialization phase and will then do 5 day boosts as the year moves along.

I'll post a few pictures tomorrow so you can see what the gizmo looks like and the changes to my body. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Dave Harris said...

Well that's pretty exciting stuff Brad! Tingling arms, headache, dizzyness, purple lips - seen it all ;)

Ain't it fun being a gizmo guy?

Anonymous said...

OK, I've researched the crap out of AT and can't come with anyone who thinks its cheating and I can't seem to come with a valid argument that it is. So, maybe I'll give it a try. How much does it cost anyway?

Brad Mullen said...

Welcome to the dark side, hehehe. Click the "Altitude Training" link on my blog and contact Eric Moody. He's the owner and can give you the price breakdowns. FWIW, he has several paying customers up and running already.

Eric Moody said...

Brad Keyes,
This is Eric with io altitude training. Shoot me an email at erichmoody@gmail.com and I can go over pricing, timing, etc.

Brad Mullen - sorry I missed your call. Went to Saint George and Vegas the past couple days. Rode Goulds, JEM, amd Rim loop Tuesday and then did some riding in Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, NV on Wednesday. Both were great! A lttle mud on Goulds but most of the trails were fast! This was my first time in Bootleg - it's definitely worth the drive out of Vegas for it!