Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nothing Special

Life has been pretty hectic since the Desert Rampage in St. George earlier this month. I've been working way too much and riding way to little. My approach this year is to just wing it training-wise, so I don't have high expectations. My fitness level is flat and my legs are heavy. I'd love to get onboard with LW Coaching, but work is such that a commitment on my part is not in the cards. So, the bottom line is I feel like crap, my riding is equally crappy and my attitude sucks.

Last Friday I rode a couple hours with some friends in StG and just took it easy. The next day I went out and tried to push it a little and just couldn't get it going. That really helped my already crappy attitude. Now I'm in a funk and the Cholla Challenge is fast approaching. This will be a 15-mile race and I'm not sure I can push hard that long. I may have to hang in the back just to survive. I'll report back next week no matter what the outcome.

On the FWIW front. I've been hearing so much about this 5-hour energy stuff that I thought I'd give it a try. Well, I drank half a dose before a trainer ride last Thursday and I have to report that stuff sucks! My heart rate was elevated and my power was down even though I was not overtrained or tired. Afterwards I was edgy and snappy and just wanted to hit somebody. Luckily, the only person around was my wife so that wasn't gonna happen. And the after effects lasted well beyond 5-hours. Maybe it's my physiology but I'll never drink that crap again. Good riddance...

That's it for now - pretty exciting, huh! Back to work and the depression cave.

2 comments:

KanyonKris said...

To a lesser extent, I know what you're saying.

I didn't do much to stay in shape over the winter. The first ride this year was a cruel wake-up call. But I've been getting out more and my fitness has bounced back some. I'm not where I was at my peak last year, but I've got some snap back in my legs and I'm going fast enough. Most important, I'm having a good time riding. It helps that I don't race and have that hanging over my head.

Brad said...

Not racing is probably the key. But, I'm not wired that way. I love it and hate it at the same time, and can't stop. My discouragement is that I did stay in shape over the winter, and I didn't ride too much. Oh well, maybe it's a seasonal funk and after Cholla all will be well. I'm glad you're getting the snap back. That's a nice feeling :-)