Monday, January 14, 2008

Camp Lynda Recap


This was at the 25 mile mark on day one looking south back toward St. George. I bagged it here and turned around cuz the last 3-4 mile/1,000 foot climb would have put me in the grave. The trail up to this point was a perfect combination of hard packed and soft sand, sandstone, sharp ledges, fire roads, cow pies and rocks.

Since I was dumb and took a few pictures, I was always playing catch up. That's not real smart when you're the slowest one on the trail. This is what Barrell Roll looks like from the back of the pack. Ya gotta ride this one when ya hit the George. What a treat.

Lynda said "it's a wee bit of a climb, it is. You may want to take off you coat and hat!" Scott's sure tend to understate things - just a wee bit mama. This is the start of Blakes Loop that climbed about 2,500 feet in 10 miles. I was last-ass-over-the pass, how surprising, and glad to survive. The climb was all fire road with just a couple of steep sections. When I arrived at the top by the high tension, humming power lines it was super windy and cold, and I was glad the climbing was done. This was real hard for a January ride, but I'm thrilled I did it.

Where's Waldo? Can you find the red bike in this photo?

The dislocated, severely cut finger is under the Kleenex. That sucker was bleeding bad. Ouch!

Watch out - Dead man riding! The glow above my helment is from the spaceship that followed me up the Blakes Loop climb. Really, I saw it!
I came down from the mountain top with Brad Newbie and Bob Saffel. Brad's a St. George boy who knew the route down. If it weren't for him, I'd still be up there. No wait, the spaceship would have helped me down. Really, I saw it!

Final numbers for day 1 and 2:
Miles - 101.9
Climbing - 9,760 feet
Time - 10:26
tss - 706
Calories - 8,006

Thanks again Lynda and Dave for making this a remarkable and memorable weekend. Count me in for next year.

4 comments:

KC said...

you are such a stud! seriously.

Genericyclist said...

Damn dude! Time to start giving yourself some credit for being a badass! Those are big numbers for two day of January dirt riding. I take back my prior offer to hook up for a ride, sheesh, you would rip my legs up!

FixieDave said...

Way cool to ride with yah and meet yah!

Ride that single some more =)

Chris said...

Great to ride with you this past weekend! You kicked butt out there. Ride that SS more and join the darkside for good :)