Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cystic Fibrosis

I have a niece and nephew that are both living with Cystic Fibrosis (CF).

Astra, my niece, is 18 and a freshman at the University of Utah. As has been her protocol for years, she undergoes pulmonary treatments at least 3 times a day and has been on supplemental oxygen since last spring.



Alex is 14, limited in his activity and battles the disease more from the digestive standpoint. Both struggle to gain weight and must take enzymes with each meal and snack in order for their systems to partially digest their food. Alex has no appetite and nothing appeals to him except pizza and hot dogs, not even Thanksgiving dinner!



The reason I mention them is because CF is a little known genetic disease that children are born with, and the disease does not get the attention and headlines it should. I'm not even totally certain what it is and was pleased to see an article earlier this week in the SL Tribune describing it and what is being to to help these folks. Click here to read the article.

CF is a cruel disease, it is non discriminatory and it is fatal. During this Holiday Season would you please consider making a small donation to the Boomer Esiason Foundation and give hope to those that dearly need your help.

I've included a link to the Heros of Hope Foundation that has a audio spotlight with Astra (August 2009, Astra Waller). The interviewer, Somer Love, has CF and was the featured person in the SL Tribune article mentioned above.

3 comments:

Mike Hales said...

I'm a cyclist here in SLC too, and my 2 year old son has CF. The Utah chapter of the CF foundation is going to put on a charity ride this summer. The tentative plan is for a night ride near the June full moon. We're actively seeking supporters, volunteers and sponsors, so if you're interested in helping, I'd love to get you involved.

Brad said...

Give me a call Mike. I'm in the phone book on 1300 South.

pharmacy said...

pour Astra... she is a great girl! I wonder why good poeple suffer this kind of diseases.