Monday, January 25, 2010

Big Mountain

Sunday afternoon I slapped on my BC skis and skins and headed up the road from Little Dell Reservoir to Big Mountain. I made it to the monument by Affleck Park and turned around there. Seems the snowshoers ran out of energy, or time, and stopped breaking the trail there. I thought I'd push on until I took two steps forward into the virgin powder and said, "enough." The snow was a good 18+ inches deep and any further progress was going to require more effort than I was willing to expend. Guess I'm getting lazy in my senior years. I kept the skins on on the descent to get a better workout and made the round trip in a leisurely 1:20. I kept my HR way down and barely worked up a sweat on my over clothed body. I took a few pictures with my phone but didn't know what I was doing, and it shows. It sure was fun and, a nice break from the trainer :-)

The snowshoe trail looking up canyon before snowmobile.

And after. At first I was a little honked off the pretty trail was flattened by the machine. But, maybe he went to the top of Big Mtn and my next trip up will be farther and I can ski down without the skins.

2 comments:

ER Dad said...

I like the dreamy looking photos. I wish I was the snowmobiler...

Brad said...

The guy had a big smile on his face, so it must be fun. Especially in 18+ inches of new stuff.