Sunday, April 20, 2008

IHE Boost Complete

Part of the IHE protocol is to recharge every 6 weeks in order to bring the new new red blood cells created in the last 6 weeks up to the level of the cells that remain from the 3 week initialization phase. I'm told our red blood cells replace themselves every 12 weeks, so half of those guys inside me right now are new and they don't know what the other guys are doing. Now they do.

The boost phase consists of 5 - 1 hour sessions at the following levels:

Session 1 - 11% SpO2 88
Session 2 - 10% SpO2 86
Session 3 - 10% SpO2 84
Session 4 - 9% SpO2 82
Session 5 - 9% SpO2 78

I'm embarassed to say I don't totally know what the numbers mean, but, I do know that each session was harder than the prior one and by session 4 I was feeling pretty good. Session 5 was very difficult.

During sessons 1 and 2 I had to take the mask off several times during the 1st two five minute pulls. It appears I was forcing my breathing and trying too hard. During session 1 I think I may have passed out because I found myself with my head on my shoulder, dizzy and not knowing where I was. That made my wife real happy! She thinks I' crazy :-). Eric, the owner of the USA rights to this incredible technology told me to be sure to relax, recline in the chair and just breathe normally. Dont' over work and press. That seemed to work cuz I was able to do sessions 3-5 without removing the mask. That doesn't mean I didn't get light headed. I did and hopefully that means I'm receiving the desired benefits. Physiological things I experienced were the afore mentioned frequent light headness, a muffling of ambient sounds, twitchy face muscles and a big need to pee afterwards.

It's my feeling that this stuff is working. My training volume is down from last year this time, but the one XC race I did last week was stronger than last year, on what some are saying was a tougher course than 2007. My recovery is very good and I am not at all fatigued. The XC race season begins in earnest May 3rd and I will be racing for 5 weekends in a row. That's a lot of stress on my system so I'll have a better feel for how this IHE is effecting me. I'm hopeful and confident my results will be positive.

3 comments:

Dave Harris said...

That's interesting Brad. Those SpO2 values are aggressive! The numbers are simply a value of oxygen saturation in the blood - fully saturated is 100%. Most folks are at 96% roughly at rest, and SpO2 will drop at altitude like you are seeing, and also with intense exercise.

For a few months I had a pulse oximeter that measures SpO2 and I've seen it drop to upper 70's during very intense L5 intervals, and to 63% while seeing how high my system would take me. I only did that once...

Your program is certainly different than what I've seen done before. It'll be really interesting to see how it all works out for you.

Brad Mullen said...

I'm glad to hear those numbers are "aggressive", even by your standards. I was beginning to think I was a wimp. Eric got a new pulse oximeter that seems to be reading more correctly than before. I don't think I got the full benefit during the 3 week initialization in Feb, but I am now. I'm not kidding - passing out WAS an option on the first two days!

Next race is May 3rd and it's only 1 hour long. I'm going to go full throttle and see how hard I can push before I explode ;-) My Cholla pace two weeks ago was faster than last year and, I have good historical numbers for the upcoming race. I hope to be able to make a good comparison and draw some meaningful conclusion. My only concern is leg power. The IHE doesn't seem to help that :-(

Genericyclist said...

Ahhh Brad, still huffing off of that gizmo are you? You kill me with your gadgetry! You have more enthusiasm and passion for this sport than any hundred folks that walk into my store, it seems to me that that should be all you need. I think you are so damn tough that at this point you need a placebo effect to keep the psyche honed, at the most. This is not facetious, I dig how into this you are and enjoy talking shop with you. It will be a treat when you drag my young ass out there and give it the kickin' it deserves.

Best,

CT at BC