Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cross Training

It's best to start with a 10-12 inch base in order to get the maximium benefit from any snow shovel routine.
Technique is important and one of the reasons I have progressed so rapidly.
Milk Duds are a key component to the successful implimentation of the hyperthermic dome protocol.
The business end of the dome.
You know you've hit the workout just right when the Duds are soft and the box is empty when the 60 minute buzzer sounds.


My recovery has gone a little slower than I had hoped for, but I'm making good progress and hope to be back on the bike in a few weeks, weather permitting. In the meantime, I've developed a random routine that is going to help me to the top of the podium in 2009. I don't have any copyright problems with this workout, so feel free to copy it and spread the word to your friends.

My core was a marshmellow last season so I've been doing lots of gut work this month with the snow shovel. Mother Nature has provided an abundant number of opportunities to challenge even the toughest core so far this month and I'm confident that I will now have the guts to push on when the going gets tough. Milk Duds and any HFCS are also helpful motivators.

The snow blower is also providing unexpected and useful benefits. My traps and lats are getting bigger from pulling the start cord, so much so that I may want to do a few body building contests in the late winter, just to further advertise my program. And, another benefit is the bigger shoulders offset the Milk Dud and HFCS benefit.

Another area of noticeable improvement is my thumbs. My right one in particular. It seems pushing the gas primer has had an unexpected benefit that will speed up shifting and help reduce thumb fatigue on those long races. Oh, I forget - I'm using grip shifters now! It may also help when I'm too exhausted to speak, and just a thumbs up will do.

I'm also tamping out maze paths in the snow for my dog so she doesn't get lost in the snow that is now higher than her back, and that is providing good stomping power for those out of the saddle bursts of speed. I'll be someone to reckon with if it comes down to a sprint. You better not let me hang on...

I've also incorporated snowshoeing, sans snowshoes, with a double pole technique to help my shoulders and forearms. I've been using trees as slalom gates to improve my lateral quickness and situational awareness. This has made me feel quick as a cat and ready to pounce on my prey.

And finally, I'm using a Far Infared hyperthermia dome I got from a skiing buddy that is loosening up my knee muscles and giving me something to obsess over since my hypoxic training opportunities no longer exist. I can't possibly race without some kind of gimmick that will give me an edge ;-)

So, life is good and I am progressing. Although I haven't put a HR monitor on in over 2 months, I feel like I am still alive and all will be well. Time will tell...

No comments: