Saturday, January 31, 2009

A beautiful day for a hike

The temperature was perfect and the sky was clear, so I went outside and played in the mountains! Continuing with my cross training theme I decided to climb the hill at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. The goal was to reach the summit of what my kids call the "Toaster Towers". I've been told they're microwave towers that probably aren't being used anymore. Maybe someone can chime in and give a little historical background.

I went solo with a fanny pack, my ancient plastic ice climbing boots and telescopic ski poles. The nice thing about solo is I can get in my groove and move at my own pace. I got to the top in 1:37 and climbed 2220 feet. Coming down took about 55 minutes. I took it easy to protect my knee and had no problems at all. Excellent day :-)

Thought I'd try an artsey-fartsey shot.

The path was well defined for 3/4 of the climb/hike.

The orange lichen on the gray rock looked real cool.

Another artsey shot. I know, don't quit my day job.

This peak was used as a fire observation post back in the day.

Graffiti even gets up to 8,000 feet.


Looking at downtown SLC with Antelope Island in the background.

No comments: