Thursday, March 13, 2008

Heading South

I'm hoping to get down to Moab this weekend and do a little scouting on the Rim Ride course. Last year I pre-rode from the Monitor & Merimac trailhead just off 191, around 7-mile Rim, through the buttes and Whip Out Hill (a confusing area), up to 313to GB Road, down Metal Masher through Widow Maker (another confusing area for me), around Little Canyon Rim to the Gemini Bridges Road that leads back to 191, then back to the MMTH. The entire loop back to the car was about 50 miles, and I was whooped. My notes show the temp was in the 59-97 degree range and the trail was dry with deep sand in places, mostly around the MM area. Looks like 59 will be the high this weekend, maybe. Route finding was a bit of a challenge since I didn't have a gps and had never been on these trails before. I went solo and that wasn't a smart idea either. During the entire 6+ hours I was out I saw 2 people in 1 Jeep - that's all! Not good if you plan on getting injured or running out of food or parts. I took 6L of water and plenty of food, so that was no problem. From Metal Masher on I was constantly scratching my head wondering if I was on the right trail. I back tracked a little bit, and wonder around scratching my head at Whip Out Hill and Widow Maker, but for the most part I kept it going straight and following my gut. What worried me most was my lightweight Kenda XC tires in those sharp rocks and robust drops. Surprisingly, no flats and all went well.

So, this Saturday I want to go back down and pickup where I left off and finish the course. That'll take me u the GB Road from 191 to the Metsal Masher/Gold Bar Rim Road to the Blue Dot Trail, Golden Spike Jeep Road, some other heinous stuff, Poison Spider down to the Pot Ash Road. We'll (Chris Holley and I) ride to the road back to the GBTH and call it a day. I understand this part of the course is hellishly technical, exhausting and route finding is a major obstacle. I'm still amazed that Sly Fox and Dave Harris turned this baby into a suberb race last year. Props to those studs! Amazing...

Last year's pre-ride convinced me I wasn't up to doing this race (Survival ride - no racing for me). Will I come back after this weekend with the same conculsion? If I'm smart I will. Tune in next week for the answer.

It looks like the weather in Moab is going to be better than in SLC so, off to the desert for me.

No comments: