Monday, August 27, 2007

LoToJa Prep is Done

Saturday I rode with seven roadies that ride on the Barbacoa road team, and they are strong! For the record, Ed Chauner of ICUP fame and a Specialized sponsored rider was one of them, so you know what I mean. Another one is Dan Moser who has done the Everest Challenge on numerous occasions. Most of these guys have been riding together for 15 years and their teamwork showed it. We had a couple of pace lines that looked better than the TdF boys! It was so smooth and fun that I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. I hope to ride with at least one of the guys (Tom Uriona) during the race and keep to mojo flowing.

We started at 0700 and rode from Jeremy Ranch over Wolf Creek Pass to Hanna and back. Total mileage was little over 123, 9,958 feet of climbing and about 7:20 in the saddle. I was last-ass-over-the-pass on all but 1 climb but hung in their on the flats and rolling sections. Most of the climbing was in the 8-10% range with some 12% on both sides of WCP. That's tougher than LoToJa so I think this was a good final training ride for me. I did get a few pre-cramps when I stood up to climb on several occasions, but otherwise I faired very well. My fueling was adequate but I could have used a little more water and a few more Endurolytes. Ed's thermometer showed a temp range of 38 to 102 degrees F.

The next 11 days will be devoted to recovery, stretching, core work and light intervals. I might get in a 2-3 hour easy spin on the weekend, but nothing serious or too strenuous. I'm feeling better rested and more fit than in '06 so this should be a good year for me. I have no illuions of winnng my category, Masters 55+, or even placing 3rd like last year, but, I do hope to finish in the top 10 and around 10:30.

Stay tuned for more...

No comments: